Saturday, 6 December 2008

Painting: Redux

So I've started painting in earnest again after a break of a few weeks. My enthusaism in this area really does come in fits and starts. I'm currently painting up the contents of the AoBR set. I've decided to paint them as Salamanders (breaking a habit of a lifetime as all my other Space Marines are Blood Angels). I thought it would be easier to paint and highlight green rather than red and overall, I'm finding the painting of Space Marines a much better affair than usual. Since my painting skills aren't the best, lots of flat armour doesn't suit me well because it's difficult to drybrush or extreme-highlight. I'm doing my best.
Most of the tactical squad is done and some of the dreadnought. Then I'll tackle the Captain (without trying to make him look too 'Christmassy' - green armour, red cloak) and finally the terminators.
I'm still getting to grips with the foundation paints and the new washes, but they appear to be working well and are generally making the job a whole lot easier. Thankfully, WD have been printing a lot of painting advice, as well as adding new content to the website to help which is exactly what I need. I'm not sure I'll ever have the confidence to paint something without a guide because more often that not, it'll go wrong!
I was thinking about my aim in painting yet another new army, and I've decided that within a year, I'll enter a tournament to try my hand at something new. Whilst this does put pressure on what little painting skill I have, it'll be worth it to be working towards a goal, and try and win some games in the process. But we'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...